Monday, May 14, 2007

Mad New York

Finally! We have left Papa's house and moved to New York City. Ludlow has found us a little apartment, five rooms, and a maid, and we are our own little family, at last. His father lives five blocks away, and frequently joins us for dinner. I am so very happy, even though the rooms are small and very dusty. People came thronging by right away; Ludlow has so many friends from Union College, and from his writing. Strangers, even, will come to the door asking to meet him. I am hardly able to keep up with all the comings and goings. Ludlow is out very late most nights, he comes in and sleeps on the little divan in the anteroom, so he will not disturb me, he says, but I lie awake and listen to the City; I cannot sleep for excitement and exhaustion.

No comments: