Monday, May 14, 2007

Bierstadt

Finally the divorce is granted. Two years, it took, with Ludlow fighting like a Tiger for what lost privilege? A privilege never presumed? Bierstadt and I spent much of the time in the South, in the Bahamas, away from the bitter gossip and horrid press. Bierstadt has kept a calmness in the face of this unwonted publicity, hatred, and inconvenience; he is my rock. Curious to think that the man who "ruined" me is my at the same time my very salvation. We have had no happiness in the form of children, and today I awoke and found blood on the pillow case, which means the disease is more advanced than we had thought. I am glad I did not hesitate to leave Ludlow. My parents are more than reconciled, and have built Albert a studio behind their house in Waterville so that we may visit and Albert can continue working undisturbed. We plan to build a house there one day. On Wednesday, Albert and I will be married, at last.

1 comment:

David Apatoff said...

I am enjoying reading your blog, but I am very curious about the connection between your posts and actual history. Obviously these are not the real words of Rosalie or Ludlow or Bierstadt, and have nothing to do with the article in the Atlantic, but are they based on anything authentic?